Steve,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""Steve McWilliams"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2003 12:07 AM
Subject: Question about row level locking with InnoDB tables

> Hello,
>
> I am relatively new to MySql (4.0.14) but I have read through the relevent
> documentation and am still confused about how row level locking behaves
> with InnoDB tables.
>
> I created a database with a single innodb table which has 2 columns, one
> of which is indexed.  The locking behavior I see when I test against this
> database is that it uses row level locks if the "SELECT ... FOR UPDATE"
> involves the indexed column, but uses table level locks if instead it
> involves the non-indexed column.
>
> For example, if I have 2 mysql clients that perform the following
operations:

> client1> set autocommit=0;
> client1> begin;
> client1> SELECT my_column FROM my_table WHERE my_column = 1 FOR UPDATE;
> client2> set autocommit=0;
> client2> begin:
> client2> SELECT my_column FROM my_table WHERE my_column = 2 FOR UPDATE;
>
> The above query by client2 will block if the column in question is not
> indexed, implying that client1 has somehow locked the entire table, even
> though client1 and client2 are selecting different rows.

a locking SELECT will set row locks (usually next-key locks) on every index
record it looks at. This is necessary to prevent 'phantom rows' from
appearing in your result set.

If you do not have an index on my_column, MySQL needs to scan the whole
table and thus it locks every row.

http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Locks_set_by_statements
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Next_key_locking
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html#Cope_with_deadlocks

> Am I misconfiguring something, or does InnoDB simply only support row
> level locking when you are selecting indexed rows?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve McWilliams
> Software Engineer
> Emprisa Networks
> 703-691-0433x21
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for MySQL

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/