> > We've got our 3.23 db installed with all the data on the /home
> > partition which is ok.  The *-bin.00x logs are also in that data
> > directory.  The Var/log/mysql/mysql.log however on our root
> drive has
> > grown to 11gig. Our Root partion is not as large as our
> Home partition
> > and I need to know if I can delete or trim down the
> mysql.log without
> > hurting replication at all.  If not, how can I move it to the Home
> > partition? If it can't be done without a recompile, it's not a huge
> > problem as I plan on upgrading the hardware and db to 4.x
> in the next
> > week or so, but I just need to know.
> >

> It's a file of general query logs. It isn't related to the
> replication. If you want to turn off logging just stop MySQL
> server and start it without --log option.
>

> --
> For technical support contracts, goto
> https://order.mysql.com/?ref=ensita
> This email is sponsored
> by Ensita.net http://www.ensita.net/
>    __  ___     ___ ____  __
>   /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Egor Egorov
>  / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/   MySQL AB / Ensita.net
>        <___/   www.mysql.com
>

> --

Egor,

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I thought but wanted to make sure.

Can logrotate be used with this log file or will there be problems?

Also, if I just wanted to kill the current mysql.log file without
restarting mysql by simply deleting it(it's in production and stopping
the db means our entire software system must be shutdown which is a
pain)?  Will MySql simply create a new file and go about it's merry way
or will it error out?  The current file is 12gig.  If we could kill the
current file in this manner it would buy us the time we need until we do
the rebuild/upgrade later next week.

Thanks,

Jeff