Welcome to the world of Linux!

You see, even though I love Linux to death, LinuxThreads are a bit inferior to what everyone else has in their
OS of choice (If Xavier reads this, please don't kill me or submit some kernel patch that will get even with me. :-) ).

LinuxThreads essentially are processes - you get the advantage of threads (shared address space and intra-process concurrency)
but each thread appears as a process.

RedHat 9.0 ships with NPTL - a newer thread implementation that "acts properly".

Regards,

Chris

P.S - Be thankful you're running Linux - at least we have kernel-space threads. The poor people
forced to run SCO's inferior products quite often have to put up with user-space threads.

sanjay gupta wrote:

Hi all,
             I am using Mysql-4.0.12 on my 7.1 redhat. every thing is
working fine but when i give command

#ps -ae
it shows various process including mysqld_safe and mysql . the mysqld
process are eleven in number with respective pids on my machine . I want to
know why there are large number of mysql  processes are running becasue  it
should show only  single  mysqld process.

sanjay