Do you have
skip-networking
in your /etc/my.cnf  file?

Scott Barron wrote:

Hello,

I am attempting to get MySQL to listen on a TCP socket on Solaris 8.
From what I've seen in the documentation, and my experience with MySQL
on Linux this should happen automatically.  I've tried 4.0.14 from
source and binaries as well as 3.23.57 binaries without success.

If I compile with the --with-tcp-port set to a certain port, just
starting mysqld_safe leaves the following in the logs:
mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.14'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock.2'  port: 0

If i specify -P 3306 on the command line it logs:
mysqld: ready for connections.
Version: '4.0.14'  socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock.2'  port: 3306

Yet I cannot connect on port 3306 and netstat does not show anything for
port 3306 (or any port that I might specify at build or run time).

I'm pretty lost because everything I do on the solaris box I can repeat
on the Linux box and have it work like I expect.  Has anyone else had a
similar problem?  Am I just missing something?

Thanks,
-Scott