Matthew (UK),

I have two questions regarding this:

1. are you using the tick that is under the ~ sign on US keyboards, or the '
which is under the " quotes on US keyboards?

I tried both and get an error executing the following query in mysql client
gui screen
GRANT ALL mysql.* TO USER 'albert'

mysql client tells me I have an SQL error

I  tried the other ` (the one under the ~) and that did not work either.

2. I have tried to enter passwords for users including root, yet mysql does
not take them in, even though they are listed in my.ini (in clear which is
odd)

When I use the password in conjunction with the user I get an error that
says access denied with password YES or sometimes with password NO.

Any clues?

Thanks for the help

Albert
Atlanta