On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:58:03AM -0700, James Kelty wrote:
> Well, there isn't a my.cnf file, so other that setting the
> max_connections with the -O option, it's whatever is default for
> 3.23.56.

Since you didn't answer the other questions, I'm going to do some
guessing here...  I'll guess that you have a lot of data and that
MySQL hasn't allocated enough memory for its key buffer.  That means
it hitting the disk more often than it needs to and is slowing things
down.

I'd suggest setting up a my.cnf file with a larger key buffer to test
performance.  You might look at mytop, since it'll show your key
buffer hit percentage:

  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/mysql/mytop/

See the sample my.cnf files that come with MySQL.  One of them will
likely be a good starting point for you.

Jeremy

> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 10:50, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 10:37:34AM -0700, James Kelty wrote:
> > > So, we have a webmail application that uses a mysql server for holding
> > > it's session information. Obviously this causes many
> > > reads,updates,inserts, and deletes to happen. Here are my lock
> > > statistics.
> > >
> > > | Table_locks_immediate    | 73099      |
> > > | Table_locks_waited       | 32187        |
> > >
> > > This ratio seems REALLY bad to me.
> >
> > It's not good.  Especially if that's a small number of tables.
> >
> > > I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to tune the server a
> > > little. I have 4G of memory on my system, but MySQL only seems to be
> > > using about 64M. If giving it more would help with this a little,
> > > how do I do that?
> >
> > What's your my.cnf file look like?
> >
> > How lagre are the data and index files?
> >
> > Jeremy
> --
> James Kelty
> E-Commerce / Financial Systems Administrator
> Portland State University
> 503.725.9152
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> --

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.13: up 32 days, processed 1,373,779,139 queries (496/sec. avg)