Hi,

Paul DuBois said:
> At 11:24 -0500 9/3/03, Cory Hicks wrote:
>>Hey folks,
>>
>>I am trying to run the following sql query in mysql:
>>
>>SELECT TD.project_id, P.project_manager
>>FROM time_daily TD
>>INNER JOIN projects P ON P.project_id = TD.time_project_id
>>WHERE TD.time_user_id = 'xpt' AND (
>>SUM( TD.time_hours_worked ) <> '0.00'
>>)

I have another suggestion. How about:

SELECT TD.project_id, P.project_manager, SUM(TD.time_hours_worked) AS hours
FROM time_daily TD
INNER JOIN projects P ON P.project_id = TD.time_project_id
WHERE TD.time_user_id = 'xpt'
AND hours <> 0
GROUP BY TD.project_id, P.project_manager;

That would output the sum also. But you don't need to use it in your API.

>>And I keep getting the #1111 errno.....- Invalid use of group function -
>>
>>I don't want to pull out any rows where the SUM of time_hours_worked is
>>'0.00'...
>>
>>I would be most grateful if anyone has any suggestions....
>
> You cannot use aggregate functions like SUM() in the WHERE clause.
> That's self-contradictory, because WHERE determines which rows to
> select, whereas SUM() can be computed only after the rows have
> been selected. :-)
>
> You might want to select the SUM() values into a temporary table,
> then use that in a join with your original table.
>

>>Many thanks!
>>
>>Cory
>>--
>>Cory Hicks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>>TRI International
>

> --
> Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
> Madison, Wisconsin, USA
> MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
>
> Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/
>

> --

Once a problem is defined - it is half way solved. (Henry Ford)