You may tar de mysql data directory but you shouldn't do it with mysql
server running (because it is using the files).

If you do not want to stop the mysql server (or lock it from writes),
you can, for example, use mysqlhotcopy first to create an identical data
directory and then do a tar on that copy (and then remove the copy).

Cheers,

--
Diana Soares