Hi i have just started to use them aswell to do proper relationships
between tables to add data restrictions on deleting records.

> 1) can you join a MyISAM table to an innodb table in a select?

This seems to work.

> 2) Under 'Restrictions...' in the manual, it says:
> When you restart the MySQL server, InnoDB may reuse an old value for an
> AUTO_INCREMENT column.
> Under what circumstances does this occur?

I have noticed say you empty the table it wont reset the auto inc back to 1
but from the start of the last auto inc until u drop the table and redo it.

> 3) Are there any replication issues?
>
> 4) Any issues regarding a mixed MyISAM/InnoDB environment that we
> should worry about?
>
> 5) Anyone who has done this in the past -- how much of a pain was it?

Found alot of pain when creating the relationships with data already in
there and if there are null values on the join keys. I have learnt if there
is no value inputted against a joined table create another row in the
joined table with a N/A and then update all the rows with null to this,
it'll work then.

Cool things about this is, if u delete a row from the other table and there
is still keys joined to it in the child table it'll cause error. If you
have selected cascade delete, if you delete the row in the parent it will
delete all the rows in the child table.