I implement some simple per-user limits by setting max_questions to 800 (via
GRANT).  This is ok for virtually all users, but a few routinely hit that
limit and are locked out for the hour.

The choice of 800 queries/hour was arbitrary on my part.  I would prefer to
gather metrics on usage in order to pick a more appropriate limit.

Besides grepping the log file, is there a way to query the server to
determine how many queries have been performed by a user in the current
hour?   I assume there should be, since that is how a user would be locked
out in the event that they hit a limit.

Regards,
Gary "SuperID" Huntress