I found the problem which I will outline here just in case anyone else
runs across it in the future:

It appears that a slave will not replicate data from it's own server-id.
In my case, a large portion of the binary logs on my slave had originally
come from the master, so when the master tried to re-replicate the data,
it simply ignored entries from it's own server-id.

This makes complete sense, however, I can't find anywhere in the MySQL
documention that explains this behavior.  The documention only says that
the master and slaves should have unique server-ids.

-Mike