Have you seen the functions INET_NTOA() anf INET_ATON)?
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Miscellaneous_functions.html

All - We're using MySQL under Linux to store data collected during network
tests.  One of our columns store the integer representation (in network
byte
order) of an IP address.

Is there any current support in MySQL (or future planned support) to
convert
from the integer representation of an IP address to a dotted quad (e.g.,
192.168.1.1) representation.  Currently, we're doing this with a Perl
script
as part of our post test analysis.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to see the dotted quad representation inside
MySQL.  We want to store the IP addresses as ints rather than chars (since
it's more efficient to store as an int rather than the equivalent chars).