I'm not sure, the update files probably won't show anything unless you
actually write values to the database, SELECT statements won't generate
anything in the update files, but there should be another file in the
directory, mysqllog and it should show all the queries and such that are
taking place on the server...

I bet you don't have it running as the user mysql, check the passwd file
and see if a mysql user exists, and also look in the /etc/my.cnf file
and see who the server is running as, I think the standard RPM from
RedHat has it as mysql, and the RPM normally creates the user when the
RPM is installed.

in the /etc/my.cnf file look at the next section, the orginal looks
similar to this.

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
set-variable = max_connections=1024
set-variable = wait_timeout=10

note the user, make sure whoever it designates as the user, actually
exists in the passwd file and if not create the user, whoever the user
is, needs to be the owner of the log directory you created, when I had
you do the chown mysql.mysql mysql that was changing the ownership of
that directory to the mysql user and group, make sure the user specified
in the my.cnf file matches the owner of that directory, and maybe that
will fix it, I bet it creates the files and then isn't able to write to
them, that's what it sounds like to me... just make sure that the user
in the my.cnf file is the owner of the log directory... just make sure
if you do a directory listing of the /var/log/mysql directory, that the
files are owned by the mysql user or whatever user was set up in the
/etc/my.cnf file.

Maybe that will get it, I'm not sure how to get all the pertinent info
from mysql, it's the case of I've never had problems, so I'm not adept
at solving problems syndrome, MySQL has always just worked like a charm
for me.

Kelley

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Dear Kelley:
>
> We tryed with your suggestion, thank you very much. We can see the
> mysqlupdate and 20030911.mysqldump files. However when we connect an
> do some  queries to our Mysql server, we can not see anything, the
> columns Time, Id Command and Argument are in blank.
>
> Is there something additional variables that we have to configure ?
>
> Thank you for your support,
>
> EDWIN LIMACHI N.
> DATACOM - Instalaciones
> TSE - INFONET BOLIVIA
> Phone. 591-2-2123978
> Movil: 591-715-29967
> Fax: 591-2-2123975
>

> Kelley Lingerfelt
                                      [EMAIL PROTECTED],
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>          Para [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  11/09/2003 12:39                 cc

                               Asunto Re: How to enable General
                                      Query_log?