From: Lenz Grimmer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: September 12, 2003 4:03 AM
To: Peter Koutsoulias
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Compling on RedHat 9

Hi,

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Peter Koutsoulias wrote:

> OK, here are the last few lines from make.  I configured using the
> following:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-mysqld-user=mysql
>
> errors:
>
> libmysql.c: In function `mysql_real_connect':
> libmysql.c:1790: warning: passing arg 5 of `gethostbyname_r' from
> incompatible pointer type
> libmysql.c:1790: too few arguments to function `gethostbyname_r'
> libmysql.c:1790: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
> cast
> make[2]: *** [libmysql.lo] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> I tried ./configure without the --with-mysqld-user flag.  still the same
> errors.

Quoting http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Compilation_problems.html:

If you get a compilation error on Linux (e.g. SuSE Linux 8.1 or Red
Hat Linux 7.3) similar to the following one:

libmysql.c:1329: warning: passing arg 5 of `gethostbyname_r' from
incompatible pointer type
libmysql.c:1329: too few arguments to function `gethostbyname_r'
libmysql.c:1329: warning: assignment makes pointer from integer without a
cast
make[2]: *** [libmysql.lo] Error 1

By default, the configure script attempts to determine the correct
number of arguments by using g++ the GNU C++ compiler. This test yields
wrong results, if g++ is not installed. There are two ways to work around
this problem:

 o Make sure that the GNU C++ g++ is installed. On some Linux
   distributions, the required package is called gpp, on others it is
   named gcc-c++.
 o Use gcc as your C++ compiler by setting the CXX environment variable
   to gcc:

     export CXX="gcc"

   Please note that you need to run configure again afterwards.

Bye,
        LenZ
- --
 Lenz Grimmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>