At 8:59 PM -0400 9/12/03, Roy Smith wrote:
I'm running mysql-standard-4.0.14-pc-linux-i686.

I've got a database netscore which I want to be able to bulk load. The database already exists and I can do inserts into tables:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schema]$ mysql -s
mysql> use netscore
mysql> insert into boat values (100, 'foo', 'foo', 'foo', 101);
mysql>

but I can't do a "load data infile". When I try, I get access denied:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schema]$ mysql -s
mysql> use netscore
mysql> load data infile 'data/boat.data' into table boat;
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)
mysql>

I tried to do a "grant file", but get a "wrong usage" error:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schema]$ mysql -u root -p -s
Enter password:
mysql> grant file on netscore.* to roy;
ERROR 1221: Wrong usage of DB GRANT and GLOBAL PRIVILEGES
mysql>

FILE is a global privilege (it's recorded only in the user table) and must be granted at that level:

GRANT FILE ON *.* TO 'roy'@'localhost';

I'm not sure why you're trying to grant to just "roy".  That's the
same as 'roy'@'%'.  Is that how your account is actually set up?

I don't understand this message. Doesn't the "on netscore.*" clause mean I'm setting privileges at the database level? Why does it think I'm doing a global?

-- Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/