At 5:24 PM +0200 9/13/03, karim bernardet wrote:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

From mysql manual:

If you want to create the resulting file on some other host than the server host, you can't use SELECT ... INTO OUTFILE. In this case you should instead use some client program like mysqldump --tab or mysql -e "SELECT ..." > outfile to generate the file

thanks for yours answers,
My database is filled with phpmyadmin
but when I do :
mysql -u karim -p vdc2 -e "select file from Check_log where Check_log_id=1 "> toto.tar.gz

the file toto.tar.gz is not good ( a select *** into dumpfile gives the good file on the server)
is it a problem of escaped character ?

1) mysql may format certain characters for display. For example, it may show newlines as \n. You might find it useful to add the -r (or --raw) option.

2) The output will include column headers by default.  I assume you don't
want that, so the --skip-column-headers may be useful.

3) You have named the output file with a .tar.gz extension.  I'm not sure
why, but if this implies that you believe the output will be in compressed
tar format, it wont.  You'll need to tar and compress the output from
mysql yourself.

For 1) and 2), you can find out such things by running mysql --help and looking through the help message.

-- Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer Madison, Wisconsin, USA MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/