After installing MySQL 4.1 on a Win2K machine, I tried to run the
mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql script. I got the duplicate column name
errors which the documentation says I can safely ignore. However, I also
got this error:

ERROR 1064 at line 67: You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the
manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax
to use near 'func ADD type enum ('function','aggregate') NOT NULL' at line
1
@hadShowDbPriv:=1

Documentation didn't say nuthin' about no 1064 error. (Wonder if it's
related to William the Conqueror?) Also, on a couple of occasions, I've
tried to shut the MySQL process down, either from the gui or using "net
stop mysql" and I get error messages that the server is not responding to
the shutdown message, a time out or some other error. I have to re-boot to
shutdown the MySQL server process (I have the process set to start
manually -- usually using "net start mysql." This is just a
test/develoment environment. The latest error message was:

The service could not be controlled in its present state.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2189.

Although, in this case, this came after I aborted (ctl-C) net stop mysql
and it filled up half the screen with dots while waiting for the shutdown.
Interestingly, in most (all?) cases, the mysql.err log says MySQL shut
down successfully even though it still shows as a process in the Win2K
Task List, and can't be restarted without a reboot.

What's going on here?

Thanks.