I do it everyday, they are on the same machine and installation, but most of
my queries span 2 to 4 databases. I can't get it it work on ODBC queries
though, but PHP does it fine and so does the mysql command line.

But I would be interested to know if there is any problems or reason not  to
do this. It seems to be the way to bring more organization to the db
layout from my perspective.

KL