You need to add the new socket location to the  paragraphs in my.cnf that
start with
[client]

and

[mysql]

/etc/my.cnf needs to be world readable.
Check for private .my.cnf files in the
home directories of the users having the problem.

michael watson (IAH-C) wrote:

Here is an interesting one!

I have changed datadir in my.cnf to point to /data/mysql. I also have the socket file as /data/mysql/mysql.sock

This is all fine and works. My server starts up with no complaints, /data/mysql/mysql.sock springs into existence and everyone is happy. Except my users.

If I execute mysql as root:

/usr/bin/mysql -p

I get in and everything works. If I try and get in as a user (mwatson = me)

/usr/bin/mysql

I get:

Cannot connect to local MySQL server through socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

Now, /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock was where the socket file used to exist before I edited my.cnf and restarted the server.

The permissions on my /data/mysql directory are 775 (rwxrwxr-x) for owner mysql and group users. Either way I should be able to get to /data/mysql/mysql.sock

So why are different users (root and mwatson) trying to get to different sockets on the same installation?

Thanks in advance for your help

Mick