From: "Bob Hall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 17, 2003 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: Does Null == ""?

: Bruce Feist has initiated a discussion with me off the list, and
: has forced me to refine the way I express my position somewhat.
: The combination of on-list and off-list discussion has been interesting,
: but it's getting overwhelming, and reminds me that I have a tendency to
: overindulge in controversy. Or, more generally, I never met a keyboard
: I didn't like. (Actually, I own one that I hate, but that's another
: matter.) This will be my last contribution to this thread. I'll
: read the thread, so you can all make points at my expense, but I'll
: take a tip from Odysseus and strap myself to the mast.
:
: I'm not an expert on the SQL standard. Specifically, it has occured to me
: that I don't actually know whether the SQL standard defines NULL as
: "Not Known" or "Not Applicable". I've always been told that it does,
: but I can't confirm that.
:
: Here's what I do know. The "Interim Report 75-02-08 to the ANSI X3
: (SPARC Study Group 1975)" described fourteen possible kinds of missing
: data. Codd divided them into two groups, designated by his I-mark and
: A-mark. The ANSI SQL committee lumped them under one heading, and called
: that NULL. I think we all agree that we would have preferred Codd's
: approach.
:
: The conventional definition of NULL, whether or not it is included in
: the SQL standard, is "Not Known" or "Not Applicable". This is both
: precise and ambiguous: Ambiguous because it has two possible meanings,
: and precise because it has only those two meanings. Of course, it can
: be further subdivided into fourteen types of missing data.
:
: NULL has another, operational definition which is both precise and
: unambiguous, and I can confirm that this definition is in the SQL
: standard. This definition has several parts, which define how NULL
: effects various database operations, such as SORT, SELECT, addition,
: subtraction, etc. We only need to deal with one part, from which the
: other parts can more or less be implied. That part is the requirement
: that whenever a comparison operator compares NULL with any other value,
: including itself, the operator should return UNKNOWN. Every DBMS I know
: of implements UNKNOWN as FALSE, but the standard calls for UNKNOWN.
: So an unambiguous definition of NULL, found in the SQL standard, is
: the value that always causes a comparison operator to return FALSE in
: any known DBMS.
:
: The problem with the unambiguous definition is that it is often the
: hardest to use. The unambiguous definition of NULL doesn't make it
: obvious why, or when, a database would contain NULL. The "Not Known"
: or "Not Applicable" definition, while ambiguous, does make it clear.
: So those of us who design databases use the ambiguous definition, and
: our computers use the unambiguous definition. This works fine, as long
: as we remember that there's no ambiguity in the way that NULL is
: implemented in a properly designed RDBMS. A computer doesn't know whether
: data is unknown or inapplicable; those concepts don't mean anything to
: it. All it cares about is whether it receives a 0 or 1 from a comparison
: operation.
:
: To carry the anthropomorphism further, a computer doesn't care, and
: an RDBMS doesn't care, but a database lives at a higher level of
: abstraction, and it may care. For example, when I bought a radiator
: for my car, the auto parts clerk asked me if I had an automatic
: transmission. Cars that have automatic transmissions need radiators
: with extra tubes for cooling the transmission fluid. Cars that have
: manual transmissions don't need the extra tubes, and the radiators
: usually aren't interchangeable. On the other hand, I use the same
: valve lifters, regardless of the transmission type. So the auto parts
: table has to include an attribute for "goes with an automatic
: transmission". For a radiator, this would contain TRUE or FALSE.
: For a valve lifter, this would be inapplicable. If it were unknown
: instead of inapplicable, the data would have to be supplied before the
: part could be sold. So the distinction between unknown and inapplicable
: can be important, in theory.
:
: In practice, this rarely happens. If necessary data is missing, no
: record is created until the missing data is supplied. Parts warehouses
: don't want parts in their databases if they don't know which cars can
: use them. Usually, when someone wants to make a distinction between
: unknown and inapplicable, it's because they're trying to fit two types
: of data into a single columns, which violates the rules by which
: relational databases are constructed. For example, a bank may keep a
: record of credit limits for its customers. A database designer may be
: tempted to set aside a special number, say -1, to place in the credit
: limit column for customers who have no credit limit. The idea is to
: split NULL into its two parts, and use -1 = NULL-not-applicable, and
: NULL = NULL-not-known. But the attribute of having a credit limit is
: different information from the attribute of the credit limit size. These
: two types of data should not be in the same column. There should be
: a boolean column for credit limit existence (HasCreditLimit Boolean)
: and a currency column for the amount of the credit limit. This mistake
: is so consistent that I think of it as diagnostic; if someone is
: trying to create two types of NULLs, they're probably violating
: 1NF. Usually this happens when a database needs to store a new attribute
: that the original designer didn't anticipate, and someone gets clever
: and tries to create special flags for existing columns instead of
: creating new columns for new attributes.
:
: My disagreement with Bruce Feist is not over whether NULL is ambiguous;
: the definition that database designers use is explicitly ambiguous. We
: disagree over how to deal with the ambiguity. My contention is that it
: is rarely a problem in a well designed database. But I acknowledge that it
: sometimes may be a problem. Bruce advocates restricting the meaning of
NULL
: and documenting the restriction. My problem with that is that the RDBMS
: will continue to accept NULLs and process them properly, even when they
: violate the restriction. The meaning of NULL is well known, and is
: specified in the SQL standard in one form or another, so a DBA is fully
: justified in assuming that NULL is used according to the standard in
: any given database, and has no reason to look for documentation that
: tells him otherwise. NULL is any data that should cause any comparison
: to return UNKNOWN. This could be either unknown data or inapplicable data.
:
: This is akin to using a char or varchar column for dates. If you put
: a date into a DATE column in an invalid format, the column will spit
: the date back and complain. If you put an invalid date into a text
: column, the column will happily store it for you and all your aggregate
: queries will return inaccurate results. Similarly, if you try to use
: NULL for data that is applicable but unknown, the column will also
: accept NULL in cases where the data is inapplicable, and your assumptions
: about the meaning of NULL in that column will be wrong. The RDBMS will
: return FALSE on all comparisons with NULL, so there will be nothing to
: tell you that the column contains invalid NULLs. My experience is that
: if it is possible to put invalid data in a column, someone will do it.
: (I've done data cleanup on a subset of the payroll database for a
: multinational company. Lots of people had lots of opportunities to
: screw up the data, so they did.)
:
: When I've needed to specify that data in a text column is unknown, I've
: used "Unknown" or "Not Known". This has two advantages. First, it doesn't
: redefine an established term. (NULL is defined as anything that should
cause
: a comparison to return UNKNOWN, which includes *both* unknown and
inapplicable
: data. This definition is widely known and accepted, and it is implemented
in
: the RDBMS. Changing the definition for a specific database or table is
: dangerous.) The other advantage is that it is self-documenting. Anyone
: seeing "Unknown" or "Inapplicable" will know immediately that one doesn't
: mean the other, or both.
:
: Numeric columns are a bigger problem. You can put a number or a NULL into
: and INT column, but not "Unknown" or "Inapplicable". In that case, the
: best solution is to allow NULLs, but add a boolean column called Unknown,
: with the restriction that both columns can't be NULL in the same row.
: So if the INT column contains a NULL, you have to specify what the NULL
: means in the Unknown column; 1 = unknown, 0 = inapplicable. If the column
: only contains non-negative integers, then you can assign -1 and -2 the
: meanings Unknown and Inapplicable. But make sure you disallow NULLs, or
: NULL will end up being used for both (as it should be if it is allowed).
:
: But this is coming dangerously close to cleverness, which is a bad quality
: in a database designer. These problems should occur very rarely. I'll
repeat
: that if you are trying to split NULL into its two meanings, you are
probably
: making a design mistake, and should add columns to capture additional
data,
: rather than shoehorn multiple attributes into one column. If you have
: to create multiple NULLs more than twice in your career, reexamine your
: designs.
:
: Bob Hall
: