Sorry for repeat email...but this seems like an omission in mysql
functionality.

Sooo many apps come w/pam support, or the ability to use ssl.

I realize that in order to use an ssl cert, you'd somehow need to lookup the
subject dn in the cert and go against ldap to get a uname/pwd, etc.

>From a web application, like php, I know I can use existing auth name/pwd
vars and pass them thru to mysql...works great. Other web content mgmt
systems (Cocoon) and things like JSP could easily do the same thing.

But I'm tired of entering my uname/pwd on the command line!!

There must be something I'm missing in getting this to happen.

I really don't want to write a script that does this as I generally don't
like to keep creds in anything except root-owned /etc/shadow, etc.

Then again, a user's private certs are only protected by the user's own
credentials...so I guess it wouldn't be TOO stupid to create a script owned
by user that passes user password thru to mysql...but this smells hacky (not
in good sense).

mike