I would like to cron my backups...

I currently have the following items on my list: mysql, ldap, various
files/directories, kerberos, etc.

I'm needing the following questions answered:

1. How to 'cleanly'/securely propagate mysql backup user credentials to
mysqldump. This will be a user with full select abilities I guess. Would
rather not have this in the script file, although if script file is owned by
root, I guess this is ok, right?

2. How to make mysql r-o while dump is going on. If I had two mysql servers
in a cluster, I guess I could bring down the clone, dupe it, then bring it
back up and re-synchronize...I guess. But I only have one server...I guess
same problem applies except for re-sync part.

I've seen a few offerings from Arkeia? and InnoDB, but I am a poor (and
unemployed!) developer and would rather roll my own solution for now...any
urls I can be pointed to?

thanks in advance...