I'm trying to have MySQL connect to different filesystems (mostly in
read-only mode). I've tried setting the read-only attribute of my files
under my database directory under "c:\mysql\data" and MySQL seems to be
able to SELECT it with no problem (I then tried doing an INSERT and it
came up with an error message, which is perfect). Hopefully, this would
also work if my database directory is in CDROM even if the MySQL
binaries are in writable hard disk.

My question is: Is it possible to have a single instance of MySQL where
each connection might have a different data directory? For example, I
have a user that needs to query data from a CDROM, and there's another
one that needs to query some tape backup. If not, I am assuming it
should be OK to run multiple instances of MySQL (on different ports) and
just have them point to different data paths (unless you guys know of a
more elegant solution).

Thanks!

Marlon