Another way I was thinking about by now is to periodically calculate the
database's size and, if over quota, revoke the user's INSERT, UPDATE rights
and so on.
It's not real-time, too, but maybe a little more friendly since I don't know
how MySQL behaves when running against fs quota writing to a file... And
it's easily configurable for any MySQL user account.
And this cron script wouldn't actually need system root privileges, just
sufficient privileges on that MySQL server.

--
Yves Goergen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]