Bang on, Emery. Works a treat. Thanks very much.

Matt

Director General: NEFACOMP wrote:

Using the Query of the players already selected build a list like :
           $player_list="player1, player2, player3, ...";
and then use that list to not return selected ones
       SELECT player_id FROM playerTable WHERE player_id NOT
IN($player_list);

I don't know exactly how your tables are, but I hope the above idea will be
OK.

Thanks Emery ----- Original Message ----- From: "Matt MacLeod" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Friday, September 26, 2003 11:51 Subject: Excluding Results from a database

Hi,

I asked for some help about a week ago and thanks to everybody who got
me a little closer to the solution.

I am developing an online fantasy rugby game. Visitors buy and sell
players and earn points depending on those players' performances in real
matches.

The only problem I have is that when visitors go to the 'Purchase
Players' screen, I cannot exclude players that they already own. For
example, if they already have Jonny Wilkinson in their team, Wilkinson
is still available to purchase again (anybody familiar with rugby will
appreciate the issue with a visitor fielding a team of 15 Jonny

Wilkinsons).

I am using two queries. The first query selects the players that are
available to buy:

$teamqry = "SELECT * FROM players, countries WHERE players.position =
'$pos' AND players.country = countries.countryid AND players.price <=
'$availablebudget' ORDER BY players.price DESC";

The second brings up the squad that a visitor has currently selected:

$squadqry = "SELECT * FROM transactions, players, positions, countries
WHERE transactions.managerid = '$userid' AND transactions.playerid =
players.playerid AND players.position = positions.positionid AND
players.country = countries.countryid AND datein < '$now' AND dateout >
'$now' ORDER BY positionid ASC";

Basically I need to be able to produce a list of all the players that
appear in the first query ($teamqry) EXCEPT those that appear in the
second ($squadqry).

Thanks very much,
Matt