Mark Matthews wrote:
> MySQL doesn't have schemas (currently). They are being developed in a
> future version. The DatabaseMetaData interface in JDBC has a method,
> 'getSchemaTerm' which tells you whether a certain database supports
> schemas or not (returning "" when schemas are not supported). MySQL
> supports _catalogs_, so you would use the DatabaseMetaData method
> 'getCatalogs' to see all catalogs (databases in 'mysql' vernacular) in
> your database, or the 'getCatalog' method in the Connection interface to
> retreive the catalog the connection is currently using.

Thanks Mark, that helps a lot.

If I call
database.getCatalogs();
I get a list of all of my databases ... about 6 of them - so thats ok.

If I then call
databasemetadata.getTables(null,null,"table-name",null);
I get catalogName as "", schemaName as null, tableName as "table-name".
So why is it returning the catalogName for this table as "" (i.e no catalog)
if catalog maps across to 'database' in MySQL ?

TIA
--
Andy