-->-----Original Message-----
-->From: Dan Nelson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:35 AM
-->To: Dathan Vance Pattishall
-->Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-->Subject: Re: What are the effects of key_buffer on a dedicated slave
-->
-->A better question to ask might be "what is my current index hit
ratio,
-->and is it low enough that I need to bump key_buffer"?

Okay yes, this makes sense.

-->from increasing key_buffer.  If key_reads is very close to
-->key_blocks_used, you might want to shrink key_buffer because mysql
has

This is fantastic. I totally over looked this fact. Thanks for the
insight.

-->never had to throw away a cached index block.  Note that the more
-->memory you allocate to key_buffer, the less memory the OS has
available
-->to cache the table data istelf.
-->