Do you use password when you connect to the local 4.1 MySQL server?
Yes. No password, no entry.

This is the answer why you can connect to the local 4.1 MySQL server with MySQLCC. Set up a password and >you should get "Client does not support .." error, too.

I guess I didn't make myself clear... I DO use a password to connect to my local database; it's set up in the database connection dialog box in MySQLCC. Using MySQLCC I connect without problems to my local 4.1.0 database and to a remote 4.0.15 database. From the command line, I connect without problems to my local 4.1.0 database and to the remote 4.0.15 database WITHOUT using --protocol=TCP. I CANNOT connect the command line to the remote 4.1.0 database without using --protocol=TCP. Passwords are required for root and user IDs in all cases.

Very strange.

Randy