At 11:40 -0500 10/6/03, Steve Buehler wrote:
I am using PHP & MySQL for a program that I am writing. I have a table in my database that has a column with dates in it in the form yyyy-mm-dd. Sometimes there is nothing in the table with the search date that I am using. Other times there might be 1000's of rows with that in the date column. I am trying to find out if there are any rows with the date that I am searching for in the 'date' column. Would the fastest way be to use
$date=2003-02-16;
SELECT COUNT(*) FROM `games` WHERE `date`='$date'
or is there a faster way?

You might try

SELECT 1 FROM `games` WHERE `date`='$date' LIMIT 1

and then see if you get a row back.  LIMIT allows MySQL to perform
some optimizations (such as terminating query processing once it finds
enough matching records).

Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com