Adam Clauss wrote:

I am going to possibly have to transfer a MySQL database that is currently
running on Windows to a Linux/Unix box (not sure exactly what version it is
running yet).  Any pitfalls to avoid here?
Thanks

Adam Clauss
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I would use 'mysqldump' to backup the databases.
I usually use the --opt flag, which sets a couple of other flags - check the docs.
I would also be very careful that you don't have any reserved words in tables / fields, and if you do, either change them, or check the man pages for 'quote fields' or something like that. It makes mysqldump put quotes around everything, which protects it from the parser. If you have been able to successfully dump / restore all of your databases in the past, you can ignore this bit ( you have been backing up and testing restores, haven't you ... ).

One other gotcha is that Linux is case-sensitive, so if you have queries with capitalisation that doesn't exactly match what's in the database, you will have problems, as a Windows-based MySQL server will let you get away with it, but a Linux-based one will insist that the table / field you're after doesn't exist unless the case of each character is the same.

Other than that, I don't think you'll have any issues.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer