> Hi group,
>
> I have read in the MySQL manual that the client/Server
> Compression protocol adds some security to the application.
>
> Does anyone have more information on this?

It adds security by compressing the network trafic, which is more security
by obscurity, as this might stop a casual observer sniffing network trafic,
but a dedicated person would just sniff and then uncompress.

Think of the similarity between a plain file, and a compressed one - it
offers a similar level of protection.  If you know how to recreate all the
fragments and uncompress it, it offers little protection.

If client server coms security is an issue, either use a VPN, ssh tunnel, or
look at the mysql SSL client-server features.

The above could be completely wrong......

Greg