Apologies for the length of this post.

We started off this little proof of concept project using MySQL
InnoDB
tables, in part because we figured we needed foreign key constraints,
row locking, and all the other bells and whistles that one gets with
DB2 (our production DB on a big - for us - project).

We are creating a reports-only application for billing and accounts
receivable information now kept in a Lotus Notes database. We will
export the billing information every night and do a load into MySQL.
We will then use Crystal Reports (and perhaps later a Java GUI) to
generate various reports like aged accounts, cash receipts, this by
office, that by month, etc. etc. While good RDBMS design says we
should have half a dozen tables all glued together with foreign key
constraints, I'm not sure any of that really applies. It's not a
transactional database, reads and writes will essentially never be
concurrent so row locking is not an issue, and logging in this
environment doesn't seem productive. On the other hand, we have a
moderately strong dedicated server with 1  GB ram and 150  GB drive
space, so resources to run one table type over another also don't
seem
relevent. On the gripping hand, the collective experience around here
is with DB2, so on some level, some of us expect to find things like
transaction logs, commit and rollback capability, and such like even
if we never have occasion to use them.

So, how's a person to decide? To MyIsam or not to MyIsam, that is the
question.

Thanks and apologies again for the long post.
Randy