At 10:45 -0700 10/8/03, Bruce Dembecki wrote:
Hi! I'm struggling to understand how to fix the mysqld_safe script for an
OSX machine. If I run "mysql.server stop" then the mysqld process is killed
and mysqld_safe promptly starts it again. I know mysqld_safe is supposed to
start mysqld if it stops but I also know there are times I need to work on
files and so on and when you need to stop it you need to stop it...

Try using mysqladmin -u root -p shutdown instead.

I'm afraid the scripting in mysqld_safe is beyond my ability to figure out.

mysql.safe I can work with easily enough, and I was planning to kill the
mysqld_safe process when I got a confirmation that mysqld had stopped (when
the pid file disappeared), however I don't have a way (that I know) to tell
the PID of the sh that mysqld_safe is running under to add the kill to the
script, and I don't want to blindly start killing shells in the hope I get
the one running mysqld_safe.

On our Solaris systems this isn't a problem and the the mysql.server stop
script stops mysqld and mysqld_safe then decides to quit... I don't know how
to fix it for OSX... I'm happy to add something to the relevant part of
mysqld.server to kill mysqld_safe's shell if I knew the right shell to kill.

Any ideas here?

Best Regards, Bruce

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer