I have a simulation of moving objects that interact with each other.  If
I store the object positions as coordinates, I think I will need at
least one database call for every object to determine intersections.
[for N objects there are N database calls]

I'm wondering if I could do the same thing storing object positions as
an equation.  An equation where if I plug in any point of time t, I
could determine where the object will be at that time.  i.e., for y = t
+ 5 and t = 3 the y position is 8.  Is there a way store equations with
one variable in MySQL such that I could compare them for intersections
by plugging in values for the variable?