Stephan -

> In the third chapter of the MySQL manual I don't understand the mentioned
> "shell>". Where must I type in this and the following instructions or what
> does it mean ?
> Until now I have found and started the winmysqladmin.exe file. But how to
> continue ?

The "shell" is the interactive terminal program, mysql. For Windows, if
MySQL was installed in C:\mysql, start the Command Prompt from
Accessories, change to C:\mysql, and type "mysql".

In Unix, including Linux, BreeBSD and Mac OS X, mysql ought to be in your
path, which means you should just be able to start a terminal application
and type "mysql" to begin.

- Jim

-----
James Cradock, [EMAIL PROTECTED]