At 17:56 +0200 10/13/03, Director General: NEFACOMP wrote:
Thank you for the answer but it seems you didn't understand my question.

The question is clear.

The answer is "you cannot do that" and the reason is "because MySQL's
access control system doesn't work that way."  There is the concept of
user account, but there is no concept of group.

You could create *one* account for students, then have all students use
that account.  Similarly, you could create one account for teachers.

Possible problems with that are that any student could change the student
account passowrd and lock out all the other students.

I would solve this problem by setting up a batch script that takes an
account name as an argument, and uses the argument in the appropriate
GRANT statements.  Actually, I'd probably write it to loop through
the lines in a file and use each line as a user name.

I was not asking about windows users.

I may reformulate my question as follows:
1. suppose you have a database that will be accessed by both students and
their teachers for different works
2. you understand that students have got some rights in common.
3. you understand that teachers have got some rights in common.
4. if you have got 500 students and 50 teachers you will need to create 550
users for you software (if it is web-based you may not need all these users
at the MySQL level)
5. if you have several tables, you need to give SELECT, INSERT, ... on those
tables accordingly.
    so, if there 50 different rights for each student, you will need to add
more than 25000 entries in the different privileges tables of the mysql
database (such as user, host, table_privileg, column, ...)
6. if we are together up to now, I will ask WHY CAN"T WE CREATE just a group
called STUDENT and give it all the student required rights  and then when
creating a student user TELL MYSQL that he/she BELONGS to the student group?
As Linux, MS SQL, WINDOWS, ... does?
7. and when creating a user who is a teacher, why do we need to redefine
his/her rights while there another user who has the same rights as him/her?
You may tell me that we may copy those rights and reassign them. But if
there is a group called TEACHERS, we will simply tell MySQL that this new
user belongs to that group and we are done. Also, when rights are to change,
we will only change the GROUP rights instead of manually changing for every
user.

If I am not clear, I will rephrase the question again!

Thanks Emery ----- Original Message ----- From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Director General: NEFACOMP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 15:24 Subject: Re: User Grouping and Priveleges in MySQL

 The simple answer is no. MySQL is first and foremost a Linux/UNIX and the
 MySQL Management do not care to much about Windows. I should know I used
work for MySQL AB

 Regards
 Minky

----- Original Message ----- From: "Director General: NEFACOMP" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Monday, October 13, 2003 2:18 PM Subject: User Grouping and Priveleges in MySQL

Hi Group,

 I am wondering whether MySQL is planning to implement Group based
 privileges.
 To make my question clear, consider a database where some users are not
 allowed to update data and other are allowed to update. Will it be
possible
 to create a group that has got some privileges and whenever a new user is
 put into that category gets all the rights of that group?
 Like the Unix system does. If a Windows user is a member of the
 Administrators group, he can perform administrative tasks.

I think you get my point!!

Thanks, __________________________________ NZEYIMANA Emery Fabrice NEFA Computing Services, Inc. P.O. Box 5078 Kigali Office Phone: +250-51 11 06 Office Fax: +250-50 15 19 Mobile: +250-08517768 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.nefacomp.net/

Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
MySQL AB, www.mysql.com

Are you MySQL certified? http://www.mysql.com/certification/