Two points about the messages below:

- With respect to the suggestion to use UNION: Original poster is using
  3.23, so UNION cannot be used (it's implemented in MySQL 4.0)

- Original poster suggests that MERGE tables are not implemented until
  4.0, but this is incorrect.  MERGE tables are available as of MySQL 3.23.25.

So it may be the case that a MERGE table will solve the problem.