I have two servers - one serving a live site and once acting as a backup via
replication.

>From our calculations site usage should be generating around 6 queries per second.
>This is confirmed by the frequency of queries appearing in the master binlog, and by
>increases in the 'questions' value of 'show variables' on the backup server.  There
>are no other processes running that should using the mysql server.

On the master - initially after restarting mysql it shows the correct number of
queries per second (I use myTop but also confirm this myself by looking at the
questions value).  But interspersed within are sudden bursts of queries being
executed, say 64 queries in one second.  Over time this increases, 45 mins ago the
average shown by myTop was 15 qps, now it is 23 qps.  This increase seems to slow in
an exponential fashion, so that next month it will be around 40 to 50 qps.

What might be causing this 'background' level of queries?

Is there some way I can view the queries that mysql is counting in it's 'questions'
figure - seeing as my binlogging doesnt verify it?

An example from just after restart (using myTop in 'm' mode showing number of queries
executed each 1 second interval):

5
63
1
5
1
1
1
9
1
1
1
1

The 1 query per second figures are what I would expect to see at the time this was
performed.

15 minutes later:

132
90
45
71
112
86
52
79
74
5
52
29
54
66

Thanking you in anticipation of your help on this matter.

Gavin Foster.