On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 12:14:58PM -0600, Matt Sturtz wrote:

> For starters, can I make MySQL believe it's proper hostname is that of the
> service-IP (that IP which is moved along with the service failover to the
> active node)?  This looks important because the bin-log filenames, as well
> as the GRANT table, seem to use whatever the system returns from
> hostname(), which is 'cluster0' or 'cluster1' depending on where it's
> running.

The bin-log filenames can be specified in my.cnf so that they're not
hostname-specific.  See my note to Dave Sifry on this roughly a week
ago in the archives.

As for the GRANT tables, consider setting skip-name-resolve in my.cnf.
That'll tell MySQL to use IP addresses only.  In doing so, the
mysql_install_db script (in the latest version, at least) will use IP
addresses.  It may not pick the correct one, however, since it sounds
like you're using a VIP rather than the machine's "real" IP address.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.15-Yahoo-SMP: up 31 days, processed 1,183,463,172 queries (430/sec. avg)