On Wednesday, October 15, 2003, at 03:10 PM, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 11:04:47AM -0400, Gabriel Ricard wrote:
I am currently testing this on a new dual 2GHz G5 with 4GB of RAM.
Seems pretty nice so far. I've loaded up a copy of our production
database (4GB of data for real estate web sites) and moderate property
search queries of ours run much faster than on our dual G4 MDD
PowerMac. I guess we're really not taking advantage of the 64 bit
memory space as we've only got 4GB of RAM in it currently, heh.

What sort of disks are you using? IDE? SCSI?

Just the standard SATA drive that came with the G5. We are waiting on an Xserve RAID unit that will serve as the disk subsystem for this database server.

I also forgot to mention that this is MySQL 4.0.15a (custom compiled, not the distribution).

I've been running the sql-bench/run-all-tests benchmark and trying to
figure out why insert_key is taking 2440 wall clock seconds. Everything
else is damn zippy.

Is it CPU or I/O bound at that point?

Well, I know I can check the CPU with top. I wasn't running anything else at the time to make sure it was able to use as much system resources at it needed. What would you recommend for checking I/O usage?

Anything specific you'd like to see numbers for? This box isn't going
to be in production use for a few weeks anyways.

I'd be interested to know if you can get a test running that uses either a key_buffer or an innodb_buffer_pool in the 3.5GB range.

Any specific test or just the run-all-tests?

- Gabriel