What amount of time is reasonable to expect for indexing an FK int field on a simple table with about 30K records. It's running on my "learning" machine -- an aging Pentium 5/133 box running RH 8 which is ordinarily quite fast enough for my purposes. It's been running about six hours now, and I'm beginning to suspect something is hung (though I can query other tables just fine from another ssh session.

The running query is:
mysql> ALTER TABLE city ADD INDEX idx_city_state_id (state_id);

If the answer is "Well, yes, you dolt, something is OBVIOUSLY crapping out," can you give me some suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thx -

Dan