New to the list . . .

Running MySQL Server 3.23.58-1.72 on RedHat Enterprise AS.  System has
four 3GHz processors and 6GB RAM.

I need some advise on what would be best way to approach this problem.

This system is using snmpcollect to collect network statistics from
about 1500 devices.  The collections are configured to get data every
5-30 minutes depending on the collection type.  Given this I am
collecting approximately 170K records per hour.  I have to keep this
collected data for at least 365 days.  This works out to approximately
1.50B records/year. After setting up the database, each record is 42
bytes [which would yield, if my math is correct, a database of
approximately 62GB].

So my question is: is it better to create one database one table or one
database many tables?  If I use the many tables option, I will have
about 1500 tables.  Or, it is better to create 1500 databases with one
table each.

BTW, I tried the 1-DB-1-table approach the the server came to a crawl.

Thanks for any opinions.

Mahesh