Chris,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris Nolan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 2:43 PM
Subject: That eWeek benchmark...

> Hi all,
>
> Looking back over the eWeek benchmark that's linked to from www.innodb.com
> (where MySQL is a match for Oracle), I made a few observations.
>
> Firstly, both MySQL and Oracle achieved basically identical performance
> levels. This puzzles me as many tests I have seen online show MySQL
totally
> dominating Oracle 9i in various environments. Is this indicative of some
> bottleneck being encounted by both engines?

I am no expert on the eWeek benchmark, but the bottleneck clearly is
database-independent in this case. It might be disk-bound operation, or the
application program saturating the CPU of a client computer, or network
latency.

> Secondly, the reviewers say that MySQL's performance is largely due to
it's
> query cache. They go on to say that performance dropped by two thirds when
> disabled. Additionally, they reckon that MySQL is unique in having this
> feature. Is this true? If it is true, what exactly are the other DB
engines
> doing to acheive their performance levels??

As far as I know, the query cache is unique to MySQL.

> Thirdly, does anyone have anything to say about what MySQL 4.0.x's
performance
> is like today relative to that test. Better? Worse? The same for all
intents
> and purposes? The fact that various things have happened with Connector/J
> would surely impact positively.

The server has the same performance as 4.0.1 had. But often it is the
client/server communication which takes 80 % of CPU time. Mark Matthews may
comment on improvements in JDBC. Venu has improved also ODBC.

> Lastly, looking at the MS SQL Server benchmarks on a .NET setup, what
would
> everyone speculate about MySQL's performance in that setup? Is .NET really
> that much more efficient for this sort of application?

Can a .NET user comment on this?

> Regards,
>
> Chris

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for MySQL

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/