From: gerald_clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 17 October 2003 14:08
To: Mike Knox
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: Check for data before inserting

Mike Knox wrote:

Traditionally, I'd take the following approach

1) Update - assume it's there
2) If update fails (0 rows) do an insert

Thats assuming that the update case is more prevalent.  If the row is
unlikely to be there - insert and do the update if you get a duplicate key.

You have to lock the table first, or another user might insert the record between 1 and 2.