Simon

you missed this from the manual:

<quote>
If you want to convert a number to a string explicitly, pass it as the
argument to `CONCAT()'.

If a string function is given a binary string as an argument, the
resulting string is also a binary string.  A number converted to a
string is treated as a binary string.  This only affects comparisons.

Normally, if any expression in a string comparison is case-sensitive,
the comparison is performed in case-sensitive fashion.
<unquote>

It is well documented. My question was about how I could change this,
because I want to perform a comparison in a NON-case-sensitive fashion.

Thomas Spahni