Robert,

I also think the read me is a little vague. I see what they're getting at
but I don't understand why it was phrased that way.

When you think about it, the error message makes sense. When you do any
command through mysqladmin your authenticating to MySQL then executing the
command. You were attempting to connect to MySQL without a password when you
had just set one. MySQL responded by telling you your login attempt was
unsuccessful. After all, you can set your root user's password as many times
as you like.

Its been a while but I believe MySQL identifies the full hostname,
lazarus.local. versus the short name lazarus (see command line example
below). So yes, I wouldn't be surprised to see a host name like that
returned.

[machine] prompt% hostname
lazarus.local.
[machine] prompt% hostname -s
lazarus

If you have additional questions, let me know. I don't use MySQL too much
these days, but I'll be glad to tell you what I know.

Regards,
Adam