On Windows machines you do not need to init the mysql
db as it is pre-initialized. But, if you installed
MySQL a directory other than C:\mysql there is
additional work that has to be done. You have to
create either a C:\my.cnf OR
<windows-system-dir>\my.ini file with the following
settings (example shows an install in D:\pgms\mysql):

[mysqld]
basedir=D:/pgms/mysql
datadir=D:/pgms/mysql/data

And yes, you need to use forward slashes and not
backslashes.

I'm not sure if the exclusion of this config info will
give you the error you are getting, but I suspect it
may.

Lastly, I've read on other forums that MySQL doesn't
like install locations with spaces in the path (such
as the famous "C:\Program Files") - I don't know if
that is true or not, but thought it may be worth
mentioning.

Hope that helps,
Mark