I've created several merge tables from the command prompt.  All seems well,
the .frm and .MRG files are created.  The contents of the .MRG files are
accurate.

I flushed the tables (even restarted MySQL).

I can see the newly created merge tables, but when I try to run a DESCRIBE or
a SELECT COUNT(*) .... to verify the records counts, I get the following
error message:

   ERROR 1016: Can't open file: 'new_master.MRG'. (errno: 143)

All table structures are identical.

Am I missing a basic error numbers page in the online docs?  I've found a
few, but nothing comprehensive, like a page where I can enter an error number and
find the detailed message, probable cause, recommdned action, etc.  The only
thing that I have been able to find is:
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Error-returns.html  which essentially confirms that an
error 1016 is a problem opening
a file.

I am using MySQL version 3.23.56-nt on Windows2000.

Any help, links or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

/Tony