I noticed in the changelog for the upcoming 4.1.1 alpha release that
CONCAT_WS is being changed to NOT skip empty strings.  I am sure that this
must have been done in response to feedback but I wonder if there are others
who like me have relied on the skipping of empty strings.  Among other
things, I use the function to assemble full names (of people) which I store
in parsed fields in my database (i.e. title, firstname, middlename,
lastname, suffix).  In many cases, my middlename and suffix fields are blank
and the current version of CONCAT_WS allows me to reassemble the parts
without having the possibility of having double spaces, leading spaces, or
trailing spaces.

Are there others like me who would like to preserve the empty string
skipping version of CONCAT_WS.  Perhaps the new version of the function
could be added under a new name like CONCAT_WS_NOSKIP or perhaps the option
to skip blanks could be provided in an argument.  Just curious what people
think.

obligatory keyword for list: mysql