Hi all,

I am investigating upgrading from our current release of MySql. (We use
Red-Hat 7.2 and it ships with 3.23.41).

Anyway, I am interested in upgrading to either the latest 3.23 release
or the latest stable 4.0 release.  My concerns are which is an easier
and/or less risky upgrade?

We have our own server programs that use mysql embedded libraries to
access the database.. since the development rpms have been updated, I
assume changes have been made to this stuff -- but is it as easy as just
recomplining? Does code typically have to be altered (for either
release)?  And last but not least, if we install mysql4 on a machine but
then want to downgrade server revisions, would they be compatible to
each other? IE: If we compile a server against the 4.0 development rpms,
could it run against a 3.2 deamon... and vice versa?

I've been reading alot about upgrading on the website and it seems to
point towards an easy process, but my boss is very nervous about it -
and I was hoping to get some 'been-there-done-that' advice from the
group.

Cheers,
 --brian